Monday, November 21, 2011

Southwestern EggRolls

These are AMAZING! They take A LONG time to prepare. So when we make these, we do a huge batch! That's why the recipe has such large quantities. It makes about 50 burritos. So if you don't want that many, divide everything up and make maybe 5. :) But it's just as much work to make 50 as it is 5. So we just go all out. And then we freeze them for meals for later. They do have chicken and cheese in them. But you can just omit it if you want. My kids are obsessed with these and they are so so nice to pop into the oven from the freezer for 30 minutes for an awesome dinner. This is a recipe from the restaurant "Chili's." They fry them. I like them better baked like I do with this recipe.

10 chicken breasts
10 T. oil
1 1/4 c minced red pepper
1 1/4 c. green onion
3 1/3 c. frozen corn
2 1/2 c. black beans (2 cans)
1 1/4 c. green chiles (1 lg can and 1 sm can)
5 TB minced fresh parsley
1 1/4 c. frozen, drained spinach
5 tsp. cumin
5 tsp. chili powder
2 1/2 tsp. salt
7 1/2 c. monterey jack cheese (I don't use nearly this much if I use the cheese)
50- 7 inch flour tortillas

BBQ chicken, brushed with oil and salted and peppered until cooked.
Saute green onion and red pepper in oil. Dice chicken and add to oil. Add everything except cheese and heat through. Stir in cheese and fill tortillas. Roll up and freeze on baking sheet.

Obviously if you don't use the chicken, you won't need NEARLY that much oil. Just enough to saute the green onions and peppers. I have never made them completely without the chicken AND cheese, but I want to try it soon. I think they would be so so good still! If you do omit the chicken , definitely add more black beans!! You'll have to experiment since there is a ton of chicken in them.

When ready to bake, put into oven frozen for 25-35 minutes on 350 degrees.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of freezing a batch! What kind of tortillas do you use? The rice tortillas I love only really work for quesadillas because they break when you bend them. I think I'll probably cook the chicken in the crock pot to cut down the time it takes to make them, which would make the meat shredded. By the way, I am a huge hummus fan, so I'll be trying your version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just use whatever kind of tortillas. i normally love the ones from costco (i usually eat brown rice also and know exactly what you are talking about in regards to breaking)... my kids love the tortillaland brand from costco that you cook yourself, or i just buy the best kind i can find at the store (ingredients-wise).

    let me know if you like the hummus!

    ReplyDelete