Monday, November 21, 2011

Chicken (or non-chicken) Chowder

This is one of my kids favorite soups. I do sometimes do it with chicken or sometimes I will just leave it out. I modified the original recipe for a healthier, non-dairy version. :)

2-3 pieces chicken
1 qt. chicken or veggie broth
1 c. celery (diced)
1/2 c. onion (diced)
1 c. grated carrots
4 c. potatoes (diced small)
2 TB butter (I use Earth Balance brand)
cornstarch and water mixture for thickening (1/3 c. cornstarch with warm water mixed in to make it runny)
1 c. almond or plan rice milk

Boil chicken 15-20 minutes. In separate pan, cook all veggies in a broth. Bring to boil and then simmer 20 minutes. Add in cooked chicken once veggies are cooked through.

Add butter and almond milk. Stir in cornstarch mixture with wire whisk to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 10 minutes.

Note: If you don't use the chicken, you can ALWAYS add some more of the veggies. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment