Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pesto!

This is the first in a series of recipe posts.  I taught a "Healthy Snacks for Kids" class Thursday night and it inspired me to start posting more recipes.  This is a great place to share ideas and recipes, so if you have one that you love--please post it/them in the comments.

Here are two of my favorite pesto recipes.  Here are some uses for pesto:
- throw them on a sandwich in place of a spread
- dip veggies into it
- if I am having a having guests for dinner, I warm some french bread or sourdough and use it as a spread (a big hit)
- I love Ezekiel 4:9 tortillas and I tear them up and dip them into pesto (they are a complete protein and the ingredients are found in Ezekiel 4:9)

Red Pepper Pesto
1 cup cashews (soaked for 4 hours in water and drained--optional)
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water
1 red pepper

Combine all ingredients except cashews in blender or food processor and blend until smooth.  Add cashews and blend again until smooth.

Spinach Pesto
1 T dried basil (or 1/4 cup fresh)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 cloves garlic

Blend well and add:
2 cups spinach

Blend well and add:
3/4 cup almonds (soaked for 4 hours in water and drained--optional)

Blend until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment