Saturday, October 2, 2010

New favorite recipe

I tried a new recipe today and thought I'd share.  I've noticed that most of my friends and family want to eat healthy, but need some recipes and ideas.  Doug loved this as well.  It is SO easy - barely any chopping or sauteing...just put it in a food processor.  Love that.


1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained 
1 medium clove garlic, (put in a garlic press before adding to food processor)
1/2 tsp sea salt 
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp Annie’s Goddess Dressing (or similar brand)
1 ½ tbsp flax meal
1 tbsp red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
2 tsp Dijon mustard (I used regular)
1/3 - 1/2 cup green onions, sliced (using mostly green portion, and less white)
¼ cup fresh basil leaves (see note)
1 cup cooked brown rice (preferably cooled/chilled)
½ cup raw sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
1 cup rolled oats or quick oats

In a food processor, add chickpeas, garlic, salt, nutritional yeast, Goddess Dressing, flax meal, vinegar, and mustard. Pulse/puree until well combined. Add green onions, and fresh basil, and pulse through to break up and combine. Then add rice, seeds, and oats and pulse to incorporate and to break up seeds somewhat. Remove blade, shape into patties (can refrigerate mixture for about ½ hour before shaping, but not essential). To cook, add a smidgen of oil to a non-stick skillet over medium/medium-high heat. Cook patties, about 6-8 minutes on each side or until golden brown.  Makes 6-8 patties.

Note: If you don’t have fresh basil, you can substitute a small amount of dried basil. About 1 teaspoon works well, and add along with the first ingredients (chickpeas and condiments). 

Note: To make these patties quick to prepare, cook the rice a day or so in advance. I find it helpful to cook larger batches of rice on any given night, so that I have leftover rice that can be refrigerated for another night, or to use in burgers, burritos, etc.

Note: If you want to double the batch, you can do so. Just be sure to stop the food processor several more times to work the mixture up from the bottom of the processor bowl, as it can get heavier on the bottom and need some coaxing to incorporate the ingredients on the top and sides. 


I loved it.  I had some fresh fruit with it and Doug had a whole wheat bun.  I am not a fan of extra bread - so I always eat burgers without the bun.  I put some of the goddess dressing on top with ketchup, spinach leaves, fresh garden tomato, and a small pickle.  Great Saturday afternoon lunch.


Oh, and I had two.

No comments:

Post a Comment