Saturday, October 16, 2010

I couldn't resist

So, I know I said the last recipe was the conclusion of my recipe posting for the week, but my friend Mandy shared a recipe from her friend Camille's cookbook.  It is so yummy that I couldn't resist sharing one more for the week:



Butternut Squash Soup
6 cups (peeled & cubed) butternut squash (1 medium squash)
5 cups of water or chicken broth
2 TBSP olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 tsp dried leaf thyme
4 TBS butter (I used Earth Balance spread)
1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup heavy cream (I used coconut milk and couldn't even taste the coconut flavor)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP Soy Sauce (I know, seems weird, but trust me ... it makes it AMAZING)
optional: 1/2 cup roasted almonds for garnish

Combine squash and water or stock in 4 quart pot. Bring to a boil then lower heat. Cover and cook until tender. (25 minutes). Meanwhile, heat oil in frying pan and saute the onions and thyme until tender and lightly browned. Add to squash. Puree the squash and onions in blender until almost smooth (leave a few chucks). 

Next melt butter in same frying pan over low heat, add flour, and stir 1 - 2 minutes until well mixed and lightly browned. Add cream and mix with a whisk until blended. Add to the soup, then return the soup to a simmer. Add ginger, salt, soy sauce, and pepper. Simmer 15 minutes uncovered and serve. 

So yummy!  I would say it serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment