Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lemon Chicken with Rice Pilaf

I had a request to post this recipe. It is a favorite at our house. My husband picked it to have the night before his marathon a week ago. So, I think it's safe to say it's husband-approved.

LEMON CHICKEN
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 fresh lemons
2 T olive oil, divided use
4 chicken thighs (I use chicken breasts)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chicken broth
1/8 tsp of tumeric
1/2 pound Jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes), peeled (I use quartered potatoes in the off season and it's yummy)
10 garlic cloves, peeled and halved (You can use less if you want)
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1/8 cup pine nuts

I turned this recipe into a crock pot dish because it's easier and keeps my house cooler. I put it on high for a few hours and then turn it down to low for 4 hours more or so. When chicken and sunchokes (potatoes) are tender, stir in thyme leaves. Taste and adjust seasoning, if need be. Then cook an additional 10 minutes. Sprinkle with pine nuts to garnish (or use pine nuts in the rice recipe below). Serve on top of rice pilaf (below).

RICE PILAF
(from Lion House Cookbook)
¼ cup celery
¼ cup onion
1 cup rice
2 TBSP butter (I use olive oil)
2 cans chicken broth
1 T. dried parsley
¼ cup slivered almonds or pine nuts

Combine butter, onion, celery and rice in a deep frying pan. Cook until onion is translucent and rice is starting to brown. Add in Chicken broth and cook for about 20 minutes on low heat or until liquid is gone & rice is done. Stir in Parsley and nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment