Sunday, August 21, 2011

Almond milk ice cream

I love ice cream, but haven't had it in a very long time.  I have a few health conscious reasons but the main one is that I don't tolerate dairy, at all.  If you've shopped alternative milk ice cream, you know that it's not cheap and most of the time, not tasty.  For my birthday, my husband bought me an ice cream maker and we've been making our own ice cream creations a few times per week.  I thought I'd share the recipe that we've created using a few different recipes we've found.  Let me know if you have an exciting flavor--we're always up for new ideas.

Almond Milk Ice Cream
3/4 cup coconut milk (we buy lite)
1 1/4 cup soy creamer *
1 cup almond milk (can also substitute other alternative milks)
1/3 cup agave
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp guar gum **
pinch of salt

* You can make it without the soy creamer, it just isn't as rich.
** I buy Bobs Red Mill brand. Again, you can do without this. It makes it creamy in texture and guar gum is in almost all ice cream sold at the grocery store. 

If I am going to enjoy some ice cream, I might as well make it as healthy as I can! 

No comments:

Post a Comment