Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's Happening...

Can't believe it's already 2010 and the start of the Be Well blog. This has been a conversation for months now and it has begun.


I am passionate about nutrition and fitness. Not only do I love feeling good myself, but I enjoy helping others feel good just as much...if not more. Spending my teenage years dieting and trying to figure out the 'secrets' of health and wellness has given me drive to understand what works for my body and what does not. It has become my study in school and my favorite occupation.


When I was 13 years old, I weighed 200 pounds, had high cholesterol, and a weak immune system. Ironically, however, I didn't know that I could feel really good. My workouts were done with videos at home because I didn't want people watching me run down the street. Over the next 6 years, I tried every diet that seemed to work, without much success. I picked up the book "Body for Life" when I was 19 and 180 pounds. There were some questions near the front of the book that brought tears to my eyes as I realized what I had been giving up in my life. Here are a few that I remember:


- What are your reasons for making this choice?

- How do you really feel about yourself?

- Are you confident, energetic, and strong?

- What are the pros and cons of continuing in the direction you’re going?

- What three patterns of action might prevent you from reaching your goal?

- Which three new patterns do you need to establish to reach this new way of eating?


Tiff and I when in Michigan.

I was 18 and about 175 lbs.












I sat down and wrote the answers and posted them next to my bed--folded up so I could open it whenever I wanted. This gave me a sense of direction and focus. I found workouts I loved (Tae Bo was my first love) and looked at my diet. My biggest frustration was all the conflicting fad diets...how was I supposed to know what worked? I began a study of nutrition and wellness when I was 22 that has changed my life. I took the time to listen to my body and pay attention to when I actually felt great. My quest for wellness has brought me joy that I didn't think I could have when I was 13 years old. Before becoming pregnant with twins (one great blessing in my life), I weighed 130 pounds and ran half marathons and still feel alive (even though I am 30 weeks pregnant with two babies)!


I am excited to share what I've learned and offer any insights into being your best self. I didn't know I could feel so good! I have an exciting giveaway for next week from one of my favorite people--Peter Walsh from Oprah & Friends. Stay tuned next week!

6 comments:

  1. What?! I thought Gilad was your first true love?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gilad! "Bodies in Motion" I had forgotten about that first true love. Maybe it was just his fabulous accent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved this post heather! i really couldn't relate to you as a teenager with weight issues because I had none, but now I can so relate to everything you said in your post. i think mine is related to stress and having lots of excuses! i am now committed (again) in 2010 to shed 40 stinkin pounds and feel good again so i have energy to take care of all these children! love you both so much! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am ready to lose my weight this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, Thank you for sharing your story with all of us, I've been in the same boat most my life, I turn 40 next month and it's finally sinking in. I feel so much better when I'm in control of really, the only thing a can control...what I put in my mouth! I struggle every day , every meal to make good food choices but for the last 2 weeks i've really well, thanks to you and Tiffany and you rwilling ness to share your success' with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first clicked on the link to this blog and it popped up, I was like, "Oh my gosh, who is that man Heather is with in that picture?!" It took me a minute to realize it was your sister! You guys look identical!! Glad to see you and DOUG in the next picture--you gave me a little scare there!! :-)

    ReplyDelete