Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cauliflower Soup

Tiffany and I both get Bountiful Basket (a local produce co-op) and get the occasional veggie that we don't know what to do with.  Cauliflower is one of those for me.  I don't have any recipes that are really good and a whole head is a lot for us to use raw with dip or something.  I got my hands on this recipe and made it tonight...slam dunk.  Husband loved it, kids loved it (minus the chunks--should've creamed it for them), and I loved it.  Wish the photo did it justice.



Cauliflower Soup

1 medium head cauliflower (or other veggie like broccoli or potato)
1/4 cup olive oil
2/3 cup chopped onion
3 Tbsp flour
2 cup vegetable broth
1cup liquid drained from cauliflower (or other boiled veggie)
1 can coconut milk
1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp. salt
Garnish with chopped chves or minced parsley

Cut cauliflower into tiny flouretes.  Cook in boiling salted water.  Drain reserving liquid into container.  Combine olive oil and onion and cook until soft and transparent.  Blend in 3 tbls flour.  Add 2 cups chicken broth, cook, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil.  Stir in cup liquid drained from cauliflower, coconut milk, worcestershire sauce, and salt.  Add cauliflower and heat to boiling.  I ended up using corn starch to thicken it a bit as it was too watery for my liking.

You can double the recipe and combine a veggie with potato or different types of veggies together.  I did half potato and half cauliflower and it was delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried drizzling the small flowerettes with olive oil on a cookie sheet and broiling in oven? Green beans good this way also!

    ReplyDelete